Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bunnies

I was sitting at work the other day when I received a mildly humorous email about my blog. I chuckled. A coworker, who is likely to turn into a friend, inquired about the source of my perceived pleasure. I told him that my sister wrote me a witty comment about my blog, and he responded by saying that I should monetize my blog using Google AdWords.


In a perfect world, I would have said, well, I would, but I'm worried that all the ads will be for medications because the blog is about mental health. If he was interested in the content of the blog, he would have asked more questions and made more comments, and if not, well, maybe someday he'd meet someone who is and pass it on. Msybe he reads my blog already and would have said a nice thing or two. But I was afraid, so I didn't discuss the ocntent of my blog. I didn't use this perfect opportunity to share something I'm proud of. Instead I laughed, my defensive laugh, and said, "well, I don't know. It's not like my blog is about bunnies."

This peron might know what my blog is about. I haven't made the blog a secret; I've shared it with individuals and on my Facebook page. I have already chosen to make this blog public, so why skirt around an issue, too polite and uncomfortable to address the elephant in the room? I don't know, but I think that's how a lot of conversations about mental health go.

No comments:

Post a Comment